Thursday 10 July 2014

Talk at Treffos Independent School - with Tom Sayer and William Roberts (aka The Skyward Lemons)

A couple of weeks ago, I was visiting my friend Will Roberts in Anglesey, near where I went to university in Bangor, to do some recording of my new album, which is currently being arranged and mixed. During this time, Will and I went in to a local school to give a talk to the uppers class in Treffos Primary School. Having studied The Beatles recently and just returning from a day-trip to Liverpool the day before, the children were eager to learn about music journalism (from me) and music production (from Will).

As a part of our visit, Will played a couple of The Skyward Lemons' finished tracks to the class whilst they did drawings with charcoal, rubbers and coloured chalks on sugarpaper. Afterwards I played a couple of my songs on acoustic guitar and sang, as shown below.


It was a great experience for me to be able to share some of my experiences with the children, and give them some more information about what the music scene/industry is like today, compared to when The Beatles exploded onto the scene in the 1960's. It was really pleasing to see that a lot of the children already played instruments and that music was a big part of their lives already. I know that I didn't really get hooked on music until my early teens, so they have all got a few years head start on me already!

Will playing the piano during lunch break
The Uppers Class at Treffos with charcoaled hands and faces
Will and myself joining in the drawing fun
Playing one of my songs to the class whilst they drew


I'd like to thank Milli Evans for inviting us in to the school and hosting our visit and the Treffos Independent School for supporting and nurturing the children's education in such a practical way. I could tell from how the children spoke about music that it could well play a part in their professional lives many years from now, and I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to talk about what I do to such a young and receptive audience who I am sure all have bright futures ahead of themselves.

http://www.treffos.org.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/Treffos
@TreffosSchool

No comments:

Post a Comment